Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Class Notes Sept. 26th

Task Analysis~

Analyzing “WHAT”

John Wood – UCLA Basketball Coach (national champions 9 out of 10 years)
- “Details Create Success”

I think John Wood was an Instructional Designer subconsciously. When first hearing about how Wood had a specific method for his players putting on their shoes and socks, I thought he was a bit dictatorial. But, lo and behold, there was a reason! If the players took care that their socks laid flat and were put on just so, the odds of blistering were lowered. If they cut their hair, there was less interference from wind. Talk about detail oriented. I can only imagine what the players first thought when their coach walked them through putting on a sock - that's something people do on a very regular basis.

Applying this example to Instructional Design, I keep thinking that I prepare lessons and teach on a daily basis. How will that affect my ability to design instruction? Initially I thought it would be a piece of cake, but I don't break my lessons down to the point of silliness. If I did, I'd probably be locked up by now. You always hear how an expert is the worse person to teach a skill and I hope that doesn't hold true and mean a teacher is the worse person for instructional design.


When planning instruction ask yourself, "What are the key things we need to know about the learners relative to instruction?" What learning styles are present? How can all needs be met?

Analyze Context

- Where are we going to have instruction?
- What are positive/negative learning aspects?
- What needs to happen? What elements have to be there?

Think these things through in the Analysis portion of design. You have to know where you're going, why you're going there, and how you're going to get there.


Analyze Learners

- Motive for being there
- Prior knowledge/experiences , narrow audience down
- Best way to conduct learner analysis: ask learners! Observe learners
- Most learning theories are descriptive, not prescriptive
- Learn about your learners…do they have a preferred learning style?
- Don’t narrow down instruction too much. Specifics change.
- Take the obvious and turn into not so obvious

It's like teaching in a traditional classroom setting. My third period is completely different from my sixth. In third we do a lot of reading and discussion. By the time sixth period rolls around, I have to use instruction that allows students to move about. The rules are also much more strict in sixth. If I back down, that class becomes a zoo.

In a classroom it's easy to know your audience - you're with them everyday. As an Instructional Designer, that won't be the case. In order to know my audience, I've got to ask questions. And then more questions. And then a few more. Probably to the point of silliness.

No comments: